Friday, April 8, 2011

PENNY BLACK - Flowers for Mimi

I've been pre-occupied with several different things lately - one of which is watching the Eagle Cam which is here in Northeastern Iowa.  If you have a minute or two (or more)it has been a lot of fun watching three baby American Eagles hatch and the adult eagles caring for them. 

OK.......it's time I get back in gear here.  Yesterday I received a new shipment of Penny Black stamps and this one just had to be the first one I used.  The birds aren't Eagles but with some pretty birds returning after the winter we have had, this stamp just made me happy.

I stamped the image with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink and then colored with Copic Makers. One thing I like about Penny Black stamps is that the picture on the top of the wood mounted stamps are often colored - making it so easy to get it colored unless you want to change the color combination.  After coloring the image, I cut it out an embossed it with the Spellbinders Labels 1 die. 

The paper I chose was pure luck for color and design.  When coloring with Copic Markers, I might have been smarter to pick out the paper and then choose the marker colors to go with the paper.......I lucked out on this one.

I used a Cuttlebug border embossing folder to make the dots at the top and bottom of the white cardstock, leaving a space for the Basic Grey turquoise paper that I had edged with a Martha Stewart punch.

It doesn't show very well, but I did make scored lines above and below each of the embossed areas.  And because the layer with the image is white, I took the Copic CIAO B00 marker that I had used on the birds and edged just the right side of the Label 1 layer.

If you are interested, I do sell the Penny Black Stamps, the Spellbinders dies, Memento inks and Copic markers.

Thanks for stopping by..............I hope to get items posted more often.  I always appreciate your comments!

6 comments:

Lynette said...

This is SOOOOO darling, Vicki! Your coloring is perfect! And you're right - the background paper is just right for your image - super!

Mary said...

I love the new Penny Black stamp. The little girl image is so adorable. I love the design of your card and your coloring is wonderful. I will be checking out the link to the video. :)

Mary

Sheri said...

She is adorable and I love all of the different elements you used on this card.

Anonymous said...

This project is just awesome. i think that is one of the stamps i ordered so i'll look forward to doing a project myself. and thanks for all the info. very helpful for someone just beginning to learn

pat

Ann Schach said...

Awww! This is so adorable, Vicki! Such a cute image!

Unknown said...

I really love this card Vicki - really stunning!

Jackie Bolhuis had a  video a few weeks ago using these little birds. All of these use the layouts use a strip of dsp measure 1 3/4"-2...