Monday, September 26, 2011

I'VE BEEN AWAY

OK.........I'm still here and have been very slow in getting something new posted here.  I hope I haven't lost everyone who was checking in now and then.  I thought that when school started my schedule was going to be so much easier.  We no longer have children at home but the grandchildren are all in school now and my husband drives a bus so schedules are supposed to be more routine.........at least that is what I thought.

Well, aside from the fact that the schedule was busy getting ready for that stamp sale and also getting ready to be away for up to 2 weeks, no cards got made.  My next goal was to maybe post some pictures of some of my early posts that some of you hadn't seen and do that while I was gone.  That didn't happen either.  I'm home now and I am going to try very hard to get back in gear here.

For tonight though, I'm going to show you a few pictures of where I was.  We went to Door County, Wisconsin; Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island in Michigan and Niagara Falls (Canada side and American side).  Unfortunately our trip was cut short partially due to rainy weather and I developed a situation after possibly a mild case of food poisoning or a virus.  On our way home though we stopped and visited the Flight 93 Memorial near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.  That was a must on our route.  Here are some pictures of the first two days of our trip.


This is a ferry we took from Door County to Washington Island just off the coast.




 On Washington Island we were given a train tour of the Island.  There is an Ostrich farm there.  They also had a black bear, a camel, goats, Silkie chickens and other animals that we didn't see.



 This is a church that was built on the island.  It is absolutely beautifully done inside.
  From Door County, Wisconsin we traveled to Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes in Michigan.  As you can see, the hill is pretty high.
I had no intentions of getting to the top but I did it!.  Walking in sand going up this hill is NOT easy!
But guess what.........I made it to the top and took this picture looking down at the beautiful view.  As you might guess, going down was much easier.

 Our next stop was Mackinaw City/Mackinaw Island.  (Can't remember why there is a different spelling for the City and the Island.) This is a picture of the Grand Hotel on the Island.  The movie "Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeves was filmed there.


The only transportation on the island is by bicycle or in horse drawn carriages.  No cars are allowed.  It's a really fun and unique place to visit.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Welcome home! The pictures are wonderful. Except for getting sick it looks like a beautiful trip. The view from the top of the dunes is breathtaking! The picture of the church really caught my eye. It looks like a replica of the traditional wooden stave church in Oslo Norway. I've never seen that church in person but ever since I saw a picture of it when I was a little girl I have loved the architecture. There is a replica of it in Rapid City, SD that I got to visit many years ago. Ok, I hope you get to get back to cardmaking soon!

Harriet Skelly said...

Awesome pictures Vicki - thanks for sharing! And welcome back!

Joanne said...

LOVED the photos, Vicki! Kudos to you for getting to the top of the sand hill, and taking that wonderful photo!
Thanks for sharing all these lovely moments!

Annie said...

Loved your pictures Vicki, you're a great photographer!
and "Somewhere in Time" is one of my favorite movies, loved seeing the carriages in that picture. We used to have one here in our little village, but just didn't get used enough.
Glad you're home!

From the pattern on  this  video you will get two cards with this layout.  These are mine. Thank you for coming by today!