Thursday, April 1, 2021

STEAM ENGINE CARD FOR A SPECIAL BOY



Last week I had the chance to do some "fun" shopping instead of just grocery shopping.  I wanted to go to Scrapmania (Cedar Rapids, IA).  When I pulled into the building where the business had been I discovered they had moved but was given directions to the new location.  When I walked in the door of the new store it was definitely WOW!  It's much bigger and I think they have a lot more merchandise.  Fortunately after spending a long time in the store, I was able to escape without having the national debt on my credit card.

I did get a about a dozen other sheets of designer paper - some for Easter next year and three for autumn cards.  You'll be seeing some of them soon.  But the main reason I was there was to see if they hopefully had some kind of designer paper with a train.  Luck was smiling on me!  Even better than "just a train" it was a steam engine.  

(Here's the back story)  In July of 2019 there was going to be a big, old steam engine passing through our town.  When the day came huge numbers of people were along where the train would be passing.  My card making friend's family was here from Maryland and my friend's grandson was very excited to see it.  He's a huge fan of trains and wanted to see this one.  My husband placed a few coins on the tracks hoping to get one smashed.  He found one and gave it to Jacob who was as excited as if he had won the lottery.


Recently my friend told me that Jacob was in need of a very important surgery and when the surgery was done a few days ago, I wanted to send him a card....the reason for my visit to Scrapmania.

To get the full range of the steam coming from the engine, I had to make the card larger.  I folded an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of card stock in half and then lightly traced around it on the designer paper.  I cut it out and added it to the front of the card base.  All I had to do was add the sentiment and it was done.  I typed a letter to Jacob and added it to the inside of the card as a "liner" reminding him how we had met.  I also enclosed a package of dimensional stickers that were all railroad designs.  This was a really fun project to do for him.

Thank you for coming by today!

(P.S.  I got a call yesterday from Jacob's grandmother.  She said Jacob texted her, "Tell Mrs. Vicki thank you for the card."  He never texts his grandmother so it must have been important to him for me to get the message.  What a great boy!

2 comments:

Lynette said...

Oh, how special to get a texted thank you from Jacob!! Your card is so, so perfect for him. I'm glad you were able to find the perfect paper and you were so sweet to add the stickers.

Cheryl W said...

That was so thoughtful of you to send Jacob a card! I bet he'll always remember receiving it. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that it may go into a "treasure box" alongside that smashed coin. Thank you for sharing this story.

And here are the final four cards you get from  this  video by Karen Titus.    I may try to do this with some papers from some other collect...