Wednesday, March 21, 2012

PICTURES FROM ITALY

Between my husband and I we took around 1300 pictures during our week in Rome and Assisi.

The ones I have posted here are not in any certain order but will show a few of the highlights of our trip.  Our experience in Italy was nothing but First Class.  We stayed in the Best Western President Hotel where the staff was very friendly and accommodating.  Their continental breakfast every morning was second to none.

 This is a picture of some of the wonderful pastries.  We bought several different ones while we were there.

I had no idea how much I was going to love GELATO.  This is just one of the four times we enjoyed this delicious treat.  All of the ones we had were DELICIOUS!

Before we left I had been told that Italian pizza would be a lot different than what we were accustomed to.  I was a little afraid I'd be disappointed in it.  Well the good news is that once again, it was DELICIOUS!  We enjoyed pizza several times.  I've decided that if I gained weight from our trip, it was due to three "P's"......pasta, pizza, pastries........and GELATO.

Since this was a group from our church that made this trip, naturally the main focus of our trip was to go to the Vatican.  My husband and I were very fortunate to stand right by the baracades where Pope Benedict XVI passed directly by and in front of us.  Thousands of people were there so we felt very lucky to have been able to get such a good location to stand.

One of the days we toured the famous Colosseum.  If you look close you can see that the street  leading to the Colosseum is cobblestone......as are many areas in Rome.  You need really good walking shoes to cushion the uneven surfaces.  Inside we were shown some of the original surfaces that the Romans walked and chariots crossed.  When we toured the area of the Roman Forum it was such a mind blowing feeling to know we were walking where Romans back in the 600 AD time had walked.

One of the many sites I wanted to see while in Rome was La Trevi Fountain.  I thought I knew what it would look like.  I was definitely wrong.  It is much more impressive than I had imagined.  A still picture doesn't do it justice.
 Near La Trevi Fountain, some "Roman Soldiers" caught my husband.


8 comments:

Lynette said...

Thanks for sharing some pictures, Vicki! (Funny how so many of your highlights were food! LOL!) Sounds like a super-wonderful vacation.

Joanne said...

WOWZA...you WERE SO CLOSE to the Pope!!! Love all the photos....thanks for sharing!!!

Barbara said...

What a wonderful trip and beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.... now I am really hungry!

PJ said...

The trip of a lifetime for sure - even beats out Alaska! Lol~ I'm so happy you were able to go. Thanks for sharing some photos with us. ;) Pam~

Annie said...

Loved seeing your pictures, hope you'll post more of them!!
hugs!!

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for sharing these. we'll all look forward to seeing more as time goes on

~Pat

Char said...

Thanks for sharing your photos with us. I can't wait to see more. The food looks so yummy!!!! Loved the photos of hubby with the Roman soldiers!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting your photos, Vicki! They are wonderful! The food...the architecture...the Pope! You have so many fabulous memories!

My card was modeled after one I saw on Pinterest.  That card used a die with larger trees.  This die is from Penny Black.  I liked the large...