Wednesday, November 5, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY HUSBAND

Today is my husband's birthday.  When my mother asked me to make a special card for him,  this year I knew exactly what I was going to try to create.
 


 
Gary has built several ways to feed the squirrels but he makes them work for it.  We have several that stop by and they are quite the "gymnasts".  They also climb the pole for the bird feeders and partake of the sunflower seeds that I put out.  We are able to watch them from our living room window and they can be quite entertaining. 


When our Yahoo group gathers in Des Moines each summer, we go to Outstamping Designs in Valley Junction.  I purchased this stamp of a squirrel either two or three summers ago but had never used it.  Once I had it I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to come up with something to really show it off.  Fortunately I had taken a picture of the sample they had made up and I pulled it up as a guide for the coloring.
 
I wasn't sure what ink I would use to stamp the image and experimented with three different browns.  Stampin' Up! Chocolate Chip was the one I chose.  The coloring I wanted needed to be soft so I pulled out my chalks which I hadn't used in a very long time.  I shaded with two colors of brown and a touch of gold.  Then I used my finger to blend the colors.
 
The background seemed to be too bright.  I had saved the extra stamp offs of the squirrel so I cut one out as a mask and then used my SU Spritzer and the Chocolate Chip marker to add a bit of speckled background.  The card base was embossed with a Darice folder.  The dp strip is an SU Cajun Craze dp which matched the one layer of the mat that I chose.
 
Gary will know that this card was definitely made just for him.  I hope you enjoy it too!  Thanks for stopping by today!

1 comment:

Lynette said...

What a special card. Gary will know it was made just for him!

My card was modeled after one I saw on Pinterest.  That card used a die with larger trees.  This die is from Penny Black.  I liked the large...