Thursday, February 25, 2021

FIXING A SMUDGE

My brother's birthday isn't until March 26th and when I started this card, I didn't plan to post until then.  He doesn't follow my blog so I decided to share it today because of the struggle I had making it.  The two friends who make cards with me (when there isn't a pandemic) have always laughed at how I'm able to find a way to "fix" things.  I hate spending a lot of time on a card only to ruin it with a smudge.  Well, I thought that was what was going to happen on this one.


My brother and his wife spend 3 months in Arizona during the winter.  Last year I made a card using the Stampin' Up! "The Gangs all Meer" stamp set.  I hadn't used it since so I thought I'd come up with a different design for this year.  I stamped the Meerkats & the two cactus and colored them with SU Blenders.  Next I stamped two more pieces for the cactus and the Meerkats on a second piece of white card stock and fussy cut them out.  I placed these with removable tape over the colored ones to serve as a mask.

I also die cut some clouds to serve as masks on the upper portion of the design and then sponged Balmy Blue ink over all of the masked areas down to about 1/2" - 3/4".  I used Soft Suede ink to sponge the ground area while the masks were still in place.  The blue and brown inks were sponged on by "pouncing" the ink instead of trying to swirl it on.

When I was done and removing the masks from all of the areas, I was just sick because there was a brown smudge line which you can see in the picture above.  After all of the time spent planning and getting the front of the card this far, I certainly didn't want to start all over again (since I already had twice before).  


Take it from me...........don't ever throw out a piece until you are absolutely positive there is nothing you can do to fix it.  This was going to be a birthday card and I immediately thought of balloons and I remembered a tiny Marvy Uchida punch with the balloon design.  The red one covered the brown smudge from my finger perfectly so I used a fine line black Sharpie to draw strings down to the hand of the little Meerkat.  SUCCESSFUL FIX!

Thank you for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Lynette said...

You must have a very special brother to make a card that detailed for him! LOL! Your meerkats are so cute and the scene is great. And what a perfect way to fix the imperfection!

Cheryl W said...

That was a brilliant way to cover your smudge. I think the balloons are a great addition, too. They make your cute scene even cuter...and more festive. Thanks for sharing your creative process with us. I think you brother will love this card.

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

That card was too much work to throw away. You always have an answer and that one was perfect. No one would ever know. Love It!!!

Carol

  Recently Rita Holmes had another great card but she was using the new Thoughtful Journey dsp.  My paper hadn't arrived yet so I made d...