Tuesday, October 16, 2012

ALCOHOL INK ON VELLUM

A few days ago I posted a card with a card part I had found on my craft table that had used alcohol ink as the background for the image.  Seeing that reminded me that I hadn't used those inks in a long time.  I turned to YouTube.com to refresh my memory of how I had made that background.  I found other ideas that I had never tried.
 
One of those ideas was to use alcohol inks on vellum.  As a rule I don't tend to try a lot of new ideas, but this was basically the same idea as using it on glossy paper so I pulled out a sheet of the heavier vellum that I had in my "stash".  I chose Adirondack Stream, Lettuce and Cranberry inks and went to work. 
 
The first piece I made is darker than this and I hope to show a project using it in a few days but that project is incomplete.  After inking the first piece, I added a little blending solution to the felt pad and colored a second piece.  The solution had the affect of lightening the colors that were already on the pad.
 
OK........alcohol ink dries very fast on the surface so then I tried to find an open flower design so that the colors of the inked vellum would show through.  I was surprised that I had few choices to choose from in my stamps.  This tulip stamp is a little out of season for now but it was a perfect fit for the piece that had been inked.
 
The next step was to stamp the image onto the vellum using VersaMark and emboss it with white embossing powder. 
 
When I do this the next time, I will definitely be checking to see which inks go with the colors of card stock that I have.  A third piece I did with this same design may not get used because I cannot find any card stock that compliments the colors.  Fortunately, the Lettuce ink seemed to go well with the Stampin' Up! Mellow Moss card stock that I had.
 
After finishing this card, I thought it would be fun to do this with a butterfly design but using a different color of embossing powder.   I am also going to check my stamp collection to see if I can find a design to use with Fall colors.   It is best to find a design that is very open.
 
This is a fun technique so if you have some alcohol inks, give it a try!  I appreciate all comments that are made so let me know what you think.   Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Lynette said...

Another very pretty card, Vicki! That looks like a fun technique. I like the vellum and the embossed card front.

Curt in Indy said...

This is a great technique and you did a beautiful job with it. Love the look of the alcohol inks on the vellum. Thanks so much for the very kind comment you left on my blog. It meant a lot. Hope you are doing fine! Best, Curt

Ann Schach said...

What a gorgeous technique, Vicki! This card is so soft and beautiful!

The last of Halloween for now.  All of the cards before this one will be going to three care centers.  This one with the added embellishment...