Tuesday, October 16, 2012

ALCOHOL INK ON VELLUM

A few days ago I posted a card with a card part I had found on my craft table that had used alcohol ink as the background for the image.  Seeing that reminded me that I hadn't used those inks in a long time.  I turned to YouTube.com to refresh my memory of how I had made that background.  I found other ideas that I had never tried.
 
One of those ideas was to use alcohol inks on vellum.  As a rule I don't tend to try a lot of new ideas, but this was basically the same idea as using it on glossy paper so I pulled out a sheet of the heavier vellum that I had in my "stash".  I chose Adirondack Stream, Lettuce and Cranberry inks and went to work. 
 
The first piece I made is darker than this and I hope to show a project using it in a few days but that project is incomplete.  After inking the first piece, I added a little blending solution to the felt pad and colored a second piece.  The solution had the affect of lightening the colors that were already on the pad.
 
OK........alcohol ink dries very fast on the surface so then I tried to find an open flower design so that the colors of the inked vellum would show through.  I was surprised that I had few choices to choose from in my stamps.  This tulip stamp is a little out of season for now but it was a perfect fit for the piece that had been inked.
 
The next step was to stamp the image onto the vellum using VersaMark and emboss it with white embossing powder. 
 
When I do this the next time, I will definitely be checking to see which inks go with the colors of card stock that I have.  A third piece I did with this same design may not get used because I cannot find any card stock that compliments the colors.  Fortunately, the Lettuce ink seemed to go well with the Stampin' Up! Mellow Moss card stock that I had.
 
After finishing this card, I thought it would be fun to do this with a butterfly design but using a different color of embossing powder.   I am also going to check my stamp collection to see if I can find a design to use with Fall colors.   It is best to find a design that is very open.
 
This is a fun technique so if you have some alcohol inks, give it a try!  I appreciate all comments that are made so let me know what you think.   Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Lynette said...

Another very pretty card, Vicki! That looks like a fun technique. I like the vellum and the embossed card front.

Curt in Indy said...

This is a great technique and you did a beautiful job with it. Love the look of the alcohol inks on the vellum. Thanks so much for the very kind comment you left on my blog. It meant a lot. Hope you are doing fine! Best, Curt

Ann Schach said...

What a gorgeous technique, Vicki! This card is so soft and beautiful!

BUNNY TREAT BOX

This  treat box  is great for just adding a few small Easter treats. Thank you for stopping by!