Wednesday, December 1, 2021

TIDINGS AND TRIMMINGS - Twist and Pop Card

 


I'm pretty sure I already have more Christmas cards than I'll need but I'm really having fun with the pretty papers, stamps and dies that I have.  My husband was playing cards Monday night so I sat at my craft table and checked out some videos.  I've seen this "Twist and Pop" card for various occasions but saw one made with these papers that I have.  It turned into quite a project since I made one along with the video by stopping and pausing. After a little over 2 hours I had completed this one.  

The video was well done by Cindy Brumbaugh on YouTube.  I really like how it turned out and it was actually easier to make than I had anticipated especially since I had the same papers as she had used on one of her samples.  I left off a sentiment from the front.

The draw back of the card is that it ends up being very thick.  In fact, it's more than 1/4" thick because it would not slide through the piece I have from the post office to measure items I mail.  Recently I received a card from a friend and the postage was over $4.00!  Her postmaster made her pay First Class Package rate to send it because it was more than 1/4" thick.  I really don't usually hand deliver any cards but I think I will give this to the guy who cuts my hair when I'm there next Wednesday.  (See inside below.)

NOTE:  I might be able to reduce some of the thickness by not popping the stocking and star pieces  with foam squares on the inside.  I might have to give that a try if I make another one.


My card doesn't lay flat when I open it but I'm not sure if it is supposed to.  It was difficult to get a good picture of it but I think you can make out the images pretty well.

Thank you so much for coming by today!

UPDATE:  I just returned from the post office.  It would cost $4.60 to send the card due to thickness and that when it's in the envelope it is rigid and not even thickness.  I'll be hand delivering this one.

2 comments:

Lynette said...

What a cool card, Vicki! Nice papers. Oh my goodness - almost $5 to mail a card!! I'd say hand-delivering it would be a good idea. :-)

Cheryl W said...

Wonderful card! I've made a few of these twist and pop cards. I don't usually pop anything up on foam squares and I try to use a little thinner CS for my pop-up mechanism and that helps. I've not had trouble mailing them; I've only had to pay the upcharge for an extra ounce.

And here are the final four cards you get from  this  video by Karen Titus.    I may try to do this with some papers from some other collect...