Tuesday, August 30, 2022

TWISTED RIBBON TECHNIQUE

Several weeks ago I watched more than one video using the Twisted Ribbon technique.  I already posted a card a while ago with a strip that I added sideways.  I am choosing to link you to the video by Lisa Curcio and her daughter. One uses glue directly to the base to attach the strips and one uses adhesive.  Personally I found it much easier to use glue the way Lisa's daughter did.

The first card here shows the way they did their strips.....using either double sided paper where both sides coordinate or just choosing two completely separate designs of dsp that coordinate from your supplies.  The white strip that I started with was 5 1/4" x 2 1/4".  I made the 1/2" tick marks as shown in the video and 1/2" strips of dsp.  You only need 6 strips of each design.


I chose to do something different with this card.  Instead of a white base for the strips, I chose a dsp with a very subtle design and instead of using both sides of the dsp, I made all of the strips the same.  This is another great way to use up some scraps.  It looks like the base for this one was maybe just 2" wide.  (The card has already gone out in the mail.)  I found that if I had strips that were about 3" x 1/2" there was very little dsp wasted after trimming off the excesses along the edges.

I stamped a butterfly from the SU  Watercolor Wings stamp set, die cut it and mounted it on the matted square.  Check out the second picture of this card below which shows how the wings of the butterfly were not glued down and makes it look like the butterfly is in flight.


Thank you for coming by today!

2 comments:

Cheryl W said...

Your cards are beautful! I love this idea for using up scraps. I can see making a bunch of 2" X 5 1/2" pieces with the strips on them and keeping them on hand for when a quick card is needed. I'm so glad you've posted about this technique a couple of times. It helps me to remember it!

Lynette said...

That is a great technique, Vicki! Pretty cards, for sure.

Choosing the right paper is important! Heidi Collins demonstrated this layout on a YouTube video that I cannot find again.  I had the Softly...